So since Lulu has been with us for nearly a year and has acquired a number of nicknames, it seems like a good time for a new entry in my series of nickname posts (see previous editions here and here).
Real name: Lulu
- Coyote (this nickname was inadvertently bestowed on her by a vet tech who told her, “Well don’t you look like a coyote?” and it stuck)
- Louie-Lou-Lou (not spelled “Louie-Lulu”, because that would be silly)
- Lulu-Belly (belly rubs being just about her favorite thing in the world)
- Lulu-Belly-Belle (from the department of redundancy department)
- L-Belle (not to be confused with any AC/DC songs)
- Belly (see “Lulu-Belly”)
- Zhu-Zhu or Du-Du or Bu-Bu or basically anything that rhymes with “Lulu” (which is a lot of stuff)
The nicknames there that are variations on her name are used almost exclusively by Dada, while “Mush-Bug” is mostly used by Mama. Lulu answers to just about any of them, but then, she answers pretty much any time she hears a human saying anything, because humans mean belly rubs, and possibly cardboard boxes that can be shredded.
Lulu also has a nonsense poem we (meaning I) like to sing-song to her, based on one of her nicknames: “Lulu-Belly-Kokopelli, you’re so cute and sweet like jelly!”
Dada is a silly person.
Real name: Chaplin
- Kitty (of course)
- Kitten A (typically pronounced “KEY-ten”, in some sort of fake accent)
- Chappie-Chap-Chap (exclusively used by Dada)
- Mon Chappietan (exclusively used by Dada)
- Chappaquiddick (exclusively used by Dada — I know, I know …)
- Dog (typically after he has stolen food out from under Mama’s nose)
- Tucker-Cat (ditto)
- Jerk or Jerk-Cat (typically after he’s been harassing his sister)
Believe me, that last nickname has been well-earned when we use it.
Real name: Charlee
- Kitty (of course)
- Kitten B (see previous pronunciation guide)
- The Little Princess
As you can see, Charlee is currently has the fewest nicknames, but you don’t really need nicknames when you’re a princess, right? Besides, she doesn’t have any obnoxious behaviors that would cause her to get nicknames like some of Chaplin’s. It’s not easy being perfect, but somehow she manages it …